Saturday, May 11, 2013

It's Been One Week Since You Looked At Me...

I am claiming one week gluten-free even though it is really only six days.  Can I just tell you that this has been the worst week to make this change!?  Holy moly.  It was Teacher Appreciation week, and how did we celebrate?  Well, with food of course!  Here is the rundown of how this week worked:

Monday: First day of my experiment.  Potato bar at work. This actually was okay- I had the potato with cheese and tiny bits of sour cream and butter.  Now, I know that sour cream and butter could be suspect, but I went really light and crossed my fingers.

Tuesday: Fazoli's was served for lunch. This girl went back to her classroom and at the salad she brought from home.  The wafting smell of breadsticks was like torture.

Wednesday: Dilly bars from the cafeteria and sweet treats from STUCO.  I ate the Dilly Bar since DQ's webpage proclaims them gluten free, and took water from STUCO- no soda, and no chips.

Thursday: Donuts and Fruit courtesy of the PTA.  I got friendly with the fruit and bypassed the donut.  You wouldn't know this- but this is a BIG deal.  I LOVE donuts! Holy crud... but, it wasn't that hard.

Friday: Okay, so this one may sound silly- Texas Roadhouse dropped off about a million hot rolls at school.  Um, these are like flippin' kryptonite.  I faced my kryptonite and walked away from it.

So, I survived a tough five days!

Today, I went with my mom to get coffee- she wanted to get lunch while we were there- sadly, I didn't get anything.  The place was local and while they said I could probably eat the chicken salad on lettuce... well, without knowing the ingredients for sure, I didn't want to take their best guess.

This hasn't been as hard as I thought it was going to be.  I have found some amazing products that I really enjoy. Here are my recommendations from this week:

*Glutino Pretzel Sticks- super yummy, and went fabulously with banana.
*Pamela's Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies- oh man!  170 calories for 2 cookies- this is high, but all cookies are in my opinion.  I was able to eat just one at a time.  (Also an accomplishment!)
*Gluten Free Cafe Pizza Crust Mix- this was a weird consistency after being mixed.  I used glass bakeware instead of a pizza pan.  It turned out pretty decent, but was too dense or something- the crust overwhelmed the flavor of my toppings!  I would still use it in a pinch though!


No comments:

Post a Comment